If you’re thinking about making some home improvements, you may be wondering which projects are worth your time and money. When it comes to painting the exterior of your home, there are many benefits that make this project a wise investment.
In this blog post, we will explore why exterior painting is one of the best home improvement investments. From increasing curb appeal to protecting your home from the elements, read on to learn more about the benefits of this project.
The benefits of exterior painting
One of the best things you can do to improve your home’s curb appeal is to give it a fresh coat of paint. Exterior painting not only makes your home look its best, but it also protects it from the elements. Here are some of the benefits of exterior painting:
- It increases your home’s value. A fresh coat of paint can add thousands of dollars to your home’s resale value.
- It protects your home from the elements. Paint acts as a barrier against moisture, wind, and UV rays.
- It extends the life of your siding and trim. By protecting your siding and trim from the elements, you’ll be able to extend their life and avoid costly repairs down the road.
- It improves your home’s curb appeal. A freshly painted home will make a great first impression on potential buyers or guests.
- It’s a relatively inexpensive way to update your home. When compared to other home improvement projects, painting is a relatively inexpensive way to make a big impact on your home’s appearance.
The basics of exterior painting
If you’re considering exterior painting as a way to improve your home’s curb appeal, you’re on the right track.
Exterior painting is one of the most cost-effective home improvement investments you can make, and it can have a major impact on the look and feel of your home.
Before you start painting, it’s important to understand the basics of exterior painting. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Choose the right paint. When selecting paint for the exterior of your home, it’s important to choose a product that is designed for outdoor use. This will ensure that the paint will withstand the elements and won’t peel or chip over time.
- Prepare the surface. Before you start painting, it’s important to properly prepare the surface. This includes removing any old paint or stains, repairing any damage, and sanding down the surface to create a smooth finish.
- Use proper techniques. When painting the exterior of your home, be sure to use proper painting techniques. This includes using Tape around windows and doors to avoid drips and keeping a wet edge while you work.
- Protect your property. When painting the exterior of your home, be sure to take precautions to protect your property from paint fumes and overspray. This includes covering plants and furniture with drop cloths or plastic sheeting and wearing a respirator mask if needed.
- Clean up when you’re done. Once you’ve finished painting, be sure to clean up your work area and properly dispose of any leftover paint.
How to choose the right exterior paint
When choosing exterior paint for your home, it is important to consider the climate in your area. If you live in an area with high humidity, you’ll want to choose a paint with a higher level of mildew resistance. If you live in a very hot climate, look for a paint that has good heat resistance.
It’s also important to choose a paint color that will complement your home’s existing siding and trim. You don’t want the paint to clash with these features.
If you’re not sure what color to choose, ask for help from a professional painting contractor or an interior designer.
Once you’ve narrowed down your color choices, it’s time to decide on the type of finish you want. A glossy finish will reflect more light and may show imperfections more easily, while a flat or eggshell finish will be more forgiving when it comes to imperfections.
Finally, make sure you read the labels on all of the potential paints before making your final decision. Pay attention to the coverage area mentioned on the label. This will tell you how much paint you’ll need to purchase for the project. Also, check the drying time listed on the label so you can plan accordingly.
How to prepare your home for exterior painting
When it comes time to repaint the exterior of your home, there are a few things you can do to prepare your home and make the process go as smoothly as possible.
First, take a walk around your home and check for any areas that need repair, such as cracks in the foundation or trim, or peeling paint. These areas should be repaired before painting so that the new paint will have a smooth surface to adhere to.
Next, pressure wash the exterior of your home to remove any dirt or grime that has built up over time. This will help the new paint to stick better and last longer.
Finally, tape off any areas you don’t want painted, such as windows or door frames. This will help ensure a clean line when painting and will make cleanup afterwards much easier.
Streamline Painting & More
Exterior painting is not only one of the most cost-effective home improvement investments, it also has the potential to dramatically improve your home’s curb appeal. A fresh coat of paint can make an old house look new again and increase its resale value.
If you’re thinking about painting your home’s exterior, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
First, it’s important to choose the right type of paint for the job. There are different types of paint formulated for different surfaces, so be sure to get the right kind for your project.
Second, take weather into account when planning your project. Exterior painting is best done when the weather is mild and dry, so avoid painting in direct sunlight or during periods of high humidity.
Finally, be sure to properly prep the surface before painting to ensure that your new paint job will last.
If you follow these tips, you’ll be well on your way to a beautiful and long-lasting exterior paint job.